Tuesday 3 November 2009

Arrived in Taichung City on Monday and is staying at SEND's guesthouse for 3 days for adjustment, orientation, and to meet other SEND workers and missionaries.

Strong winds welcomed and kept me company at the bus stop. Wilma, the missionary who picked me up, told me it's the sign that fall has arrived. Thought I'll have to deal with it the whole fall season, but next day was a lot calmer. Turns out it's one of their rare(?) stronger windy days/dust storm. Good to know.

After getting my schedules and keys, had lunch and some orientation. Next was some free time so thought of checking out the neighborhood. Went back up to my room and got familiar w/ where things are kept (they have 99.9% of everything you might need) when I found 2 books in English (turns out there were more). One of them is Unger's Bible Handbook - interesting reference book on the historical and archeological perspectives of the Bible. I seem to have heard of the name before. Sat on a comfy chair to browse and read some pages when sleep kicked in.

Dinner was at a missionary family's place - The Browns. When we all held hands to say grace, this simple act brought a profound reminder of God's overflowing love that unites us despite ourselves. Excellent mash potatis.

More orientations the next day. The Harbours gave me an overview of SEND Taiwan's visions, missions, work, issues, and others. Then we went to their FAITH office. From what I remember, the FAITH program has the same purpose as EE (Evangelism Explosion) but some difference in their approach. Some revisions were also made to fit Taiwan's sensitivities. They started the program some months ago, and those involved have been encouraged by the results. May God continue to use this vehicle to adequately equip the workers, and to bring the lost, the blind, the hopeless, those who are seeking, those who are ready and willing, under God's love and grace.

Since I had nothing lined up in the afternoon, Wilma drove me around the neighborhood - Morrison Academy, where to buy breakfast, lunch, dinner, fruits, etc. Dinner was pizza and the heavenly 7-layer salad by The Thars. Upon Wilma's earlier suggestion, I went with them to their church (Tanzi Dafeng Gospel Church) and was given the opportunity to co-teach their ESL class.

Wireless connection is conveniently available in my room, but I did not bring a laptop. When we got back, I found out the office can be left unlocked after-hours should we need to use the computer. Sweet! Gives me time to check emails and compose updates.

SEND office in Taichung

Tanzi Church

Tanzi Church Adults English Class. Phil Lam (foreground) from Hawaii as special guest/instructor. To the left is Jonathan Thar, SEND missionary and ESL instructor.

No comments:

Post a Comment